CONFUSION OVER BAPTISM
1. Why would anyone deny baptism?
Matt. 28:18-19 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. (19) "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
1 Pet. 3:21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
Mark 16:15-16 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. (16) "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
Acts 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'
THOSE WHO WOULD DENY BAPTISM ARE DENYING JESUS
2. Some, seeing the necessity, baptize babies.
Certainly you would want your baby to be saved….
DID JESUS TEACH THAT BABIES SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
3. Some practice being baptized for the dead……
Can’t stand the thought that grandma, or dad, who has died, are going to hell
CAN WE BE BAPTIZED FOR SOMEONE ELSE?
4. Most denominations see that baptism is very important.
You can’t be a part of their denomination without being baptized.
DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT WE MUST BE BAPTIZED IN ORDER TO JOIN A CHURCH?
LET’S LOOK TO THE SCRIPTURES AND
END SOME OF THIS CONFUSION
I. WHAT is Baptism?
A. Transliterated verb “baptize” = immerse, plunge, submerge, to bury
C. Many Bible baptisms……
Baptism of SUFFERING: Mark 10:38-39 But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?" (39) They said to Him, "We are able." And Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you shall drink; and you shall be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized.
Baptism of John: Luke When all the people and the tax collectors heard this, they acknowledged God's justice, having been baptized with the baptism of John.
Luke 3:16 John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
IMMERSED IN DIFFERENT THINGS FOR
ONLY ONE BAPTISM THAT IS FOR THE
FORGIVENESS OF SINS!
Eph. 4:1-6 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, (2) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, (3) being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; (5) one Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
D. FOR FORGIVENESS OF SINS
ALWAYS BAPTISM IN WATER….
1. JOHN’S BAPTISM FOR THE JEWS – UNTO REPENTANCE
John John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there; and people were coming and were being baptized--
2. Cornelius household
Acts "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
3. Ethiopian Eunuch
Acts 8:35-36 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. (36) As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?"
II. WHO is to be Baptized?
A. Every example of an individual is an adult
But when they
believed Philip preaching the good news about the
B. (Cornelius) “And his house” – some assume babies
C. Some assumptions about when Jesus said….
Matt. 19:13-14 Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. (14) But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
KJV – ”for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
1. Is the implication of this that children can be baptized and enter into the kingdom – so don’t refuse them??
2. Or is it that when we are baptized into Christ we become like the children – unburdened by sin – innocent – free –saved??
CERTAINLY THIS IS WHAT HE MEANT!
3. What, then, does this tell us about the state of the souls of babies? of children? – They are SAFE
4. He said the kingdom is made up of “such as these” – as they are
D. Address the children – get their attention
1. What a wonderful thing to know!
a. You don’t have to worry about going to heaven
b. If you die – you are safe
c. Take this time of life to learn to trust in Jesus
d. He loves you – said you are His!
e. He wants us adults to become what you are.
1) you see things more simply
Adults tend to complicate their lives
2) cry seeing someone – or an animal hurt
Sometimes adults are too focused on themselves
3) you don’t hold grudges – you forgive so easily
Adults can be unforgiving
4) You don’t judge people without getting to know them
Adults can dislike people simply because of their color, or how much money they make
5) you are humble – understand that there are people older and wiser to listen to
Adults sometimes don’t trust anyone else & think they are smarter than anyone else
6) trusting in God - You have that marvelous quality of simple trust in God - You have a problem and it is easy for you to ask Jesus to help – and you have no problem trusting that He will
Adults don’t want to trust in anybody but themselves when they get into trouble
7) Trust in others – you have blind trust in others - and you expect the best out of people
Adults can become cynical – that means that they don’t trust people very easily – sometimes even imagining that the other person is not sincere
f. Guess what – when we became Christians we became more like you –
1) Christians are learning to live life more simply – simply trust in God & follow His will
2) Christians are learning to be more like you as we try not to focus on ourselves so much and we look for ways to soothe other’s hurts
3) Christians know now that they can no longer hold grudges – we find it easier to forgive
4) Christians don’t judge people without getting to know them
5) Christians strive to be humble – take more care in giving in to others – listen to their ideas
6) Christians learn to trust in God - What a wonderful thing to realize that we don’t have to fix everything ourselves!
7) Christians trust in others – we expect the best out of people – we quit being cynical
g. [address adults] – “we need to be like these children!”
1) unless you become as little children
Matt. 18:1-4 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" (2) And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, (3) and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. (4) "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
2) Paul said, 1 Cor. 14:20 Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature.
Think like an adult – Christians are to be mature in their thinking, but we need to be naïve and innocent, like a child, in evil
1. Brethren, Jesus said we need to be come what these children to be in the kingdom of heaven….
a. be naïve about sin – don’t be embarrassed because you don’t know about sinful things – be shocked – remember how to blush
b. Don’t judge people in those things that the world uses for judgment
i.e. – money – dress – car – house – skin – size – or education
c. be forgiving – love your brethren openly
d. humbly trust in God – expect Him to be there when you call on Him
e. expect the best from people – don’t be cynacle
a. understand that you are loved by God –
b. you are safe – you are going to heaven
c. don’t be confused when you hear sermons about people going to Hell without being baptized – God is not talking to children
3. Moms & Dads – I know you are anxious – want to make sure your child obeys the gospel
a. Don’t be so anxious that we get them to act before they are mature enough to become and live like a Christian
b. reassure them that they are loved by God and kept safely in His hand
4. Who does need to be baptized?......
a. Those who have been taught
reason for baptism
relationship that changes through baptism
concerned about sin in their lives
b. Those who believe the gospel – that Jesus is God’s son – He came to the earth & died for their sins
c. Those who are ready to make a life-long change
forsaking sin of every kind
be devoted to Jesus and to a diligent study of His word
searching to know Him better – and to please Him in everything
d. Those who will unashamedly confess their belief in Him publicly
THEN YOU ARE READY TO BE BAPTIZED!
If that is you – come to the front RIGHT NOW