I. What you always wanted to know about sex but were too
spiritual to ask
A. I Corinthians 6:12-20
B. Reason for these lessons
1. children ask questions
a. Sometimes just...."why?"
b. be glad for every opportunity to talk to
your children about sex
2. All of us have questions
a. married people... "What can my husband & I do
in sexual fulfillment & what is taboo?"
b. Singles... "How far can I go on a date & not
3. We are bombarded with all types of information
on abnormal or perverted sex
4. We are bombarded with TV & Movies on how "normal”
it is for single people to have sexual relations
together....how normal it is for married people
to commit adultery
5. Our children are educated on sex from other
children; immoral teachers; or bathroom walls
C. The Bible teaches us about our sexuality
1. Satan didn't give us sex
2. Satan didn't invent sex
3. Hugh Hefner didn't invent sex
4. God gave us our sexuality
D. My planned lessons
1. Thought of the title, "Things God wants you to
know about human sexuality"
a. too stiff....heard a tape entitled:
b. "What you always wanted to know about sex
but were too spiritual to ask"
2. Tonight’s lesson - "Immorality" (sex outside the
bounds of marriage)
E. About our context..-! Cor. 6:12-20
1. In this chapter-3 times Paul says:
"Don't you know"... (repeat)
2. idea he is telling us sins God wants us to know
3. six times he refers to sex, prostitutes, or
4. eight times in nine verses he talks about the
body. .."the body"... "The body"..."the body"
5. put it all together...."Things God wants you to
know about your body & sex"
F. Verses 12-13....arguments they were making for
engaging in immorality
(i.e. popular sayings in
1. "All things are lawful for me" (in quotes in NIV)
2. "Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for
G. beginning in vs. 15 - 3 reasons for not committing
V15...."Don't you know" (mentally underline)
V15...."Don't you know" ...second reason
V19...."Don't you know" ....third reason
HERE IS THE OUTLINE OF TONIGHT'S LESSON
H. Read the passage
1. City of
2. Worshipped the goddess Epaphrodites a. temple in midst
of the city dedicated to her
a. temple in midst of the city dedicated to her
b. 1,000 temple prostitutes walked the streets of
c. A very basic & intragal part of worship of
Epaphrodites involved immorality
d.. Christians converted from worship of Epaphrodites
brought into the church this same philosophy of
sexual misconduct.....& tried to justify it
3. This is the problem Paul was addressing there
4. Not unlike the same problem of today
a. with the advent of the "birth control pill" that
makes sexual contact relatively safe
b. with the advent of the automobile, with hotels &
c. with the advent of the airplane making anyone safe
& secure & anonymous in a matter of minutes or
d. With the computer and pornography and chat
e. with sex so widely discussed as being normal
between any two people who desire to share in it
5. I don't doubt that I am talking to some of you who have
made a regular part of your dating practice; sexual
immorality of some kind....perhaps you are now
Or some married person who has had one or more affairs
6. The questions we raise is what does God's word say
J. The Victorians sought to have love without falling in sex
The modern person seeks to have sex, without falling into love
K. The Corinthians tried to justify their behavior with these two
1. Verse 12 - "All things are possible for me"
a. God's grace does cover all types of sin...all sin
b. Paul had to address this problem in Rom. 6
1) Look at Rom. -21
2) Rom 6:1-2
c. they twisted Paul's teaching that we are not
justified by Law; but by grace....not by eat
certain foods & restrictions .... but by grace
2. They didn't realize that "freedom" was not freedom to
do as you please.....but the power to do as you ought
Freedom comes within the context of boundaries
V12 he mentions the first/ "Not all things are Profitable"
A tree may want to be free from the soil – wind comes -
- uproots tree - tree dies
A child wants to be free from fenced in yard
3. Second argument - V. 13
a. God made stomach; right?
b. God made food; right?
c. God gave me hunger; right?
d. God gave food to satisfy hunger; right?
4. Same arguments today
a. God made my body; right?
b. We are animals with sexual appetite; right?
c. We don’t get mad at other animals......why not us?
5. PAUL'S ANSWER -
a. God did not make body for immorality
b. we are NOT ANIMALS
c. We are made for the LORD
d. we are the dwelling place of God's Spirit
6. V. 20 - "GLORIFY GOD IN SEX" Context is sex
a. Adam & Eve - "be fruitful & Multiply" then said,
"THAT IS VERY GOOD" - (Before fall)
b. Prov. 5 - "man is to be exhilerated by his wife”
1) By their sexual
c. Deut. 24:5, when a young man gets married he is
to have a year off to enjoy his new bride & bring
happiness to her
d. Song of Solomon - erotic
1) has to do with married love
GODS CREATED SEX; IT IS TO BE ENJOYED BY MANKIND;
IT PLEASES GOD WHEN MEN AND WOMEN USE THIS GIFT PROPERLY…..
DISPLEASES GOD WHEN TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT; CHEAPENED
V 20 - "GLORIFIES GOD"
7. Man says, "Man is for sex" ~ Not "Sex is for man"
a. if sex abused - come up empty
b. if used properly - fulfilled
c. our bodies will be raised up - glorify God
8. CONCLUSION: V. 12 - You might have liberty; but a
liberty has boundaries
v. 13 - God gave us sex as a gift to be used in its proper
L. Rest of chapter - 3 reasons why NOT to engage in immorality
1. DO YOU NOT KNOW (all three) - V15; V16; V19
2. Go to V19 first.....
a. We were bought with a price
b. You are a slave to sin - or to Christ
(Your body belongs to Him)
1) If I borrowed you coat
2) came to services - used as a doormat
3) How would you feel?
4) That's the point - your body does not belong to
c. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit
1) Would you think of committing fornication in
the church building
2) You might say "in the Sanctuary???"
CANT HIDE FROM
GOD 3) Bible never refers to the building as a sanctuary
4) Your body is the
5) Commit fornication in the very place where
3. Next go to V15.......
a. struggle to understand
b. We are each members of Christ’s body
1) 1 Cor. ———
2) Church & body
3) each members – purpose
example of when one member is hurt
example of when one doesn't work right
(dentist & novacaine - act it out.....words)
a) Try to talk
b) Try to smile
c) try to drink coffee (dribble on shirt)
c. part of your body has become paralized
d. You have taken away part of the use & function
e. YOU are a part of the Body of Christ
1) you take away and paralize
2) you have weakened it
3) you have taken away that part as a Christian
f. ALSO, Like inviting Christ to join you in halotry
1) Would you invite Christ? - BLASPHEMY!
2) That's what you're doing (READ VERSE)
g. recap - first reason is that we no longer own our
bodies; they are rented (at best)
the second reason is that our bodies are members
of the body of Christ
4. the third reason is that it affects a person forever
a. Read vl6
1) more takes place than a biological function
2) spiritual union -
a) Bible uses term "knowing" one another
b) WILLIAM HAMILTON
c) cannot as single; only in marriage
d) Cannot completely give; only hurried
3) Parable of girl went to college
Tempted – seeing so many others -
wrote home to father - "sometimes wonder
what I’m waiting for"
His reply: "I can answer you in six words – ‘you are waiting to be free’
Free from the nagging voice of conscience
Free from the gray shadow of guilt
Free to give all of yourself (not a panicky fraction)
Something deep inside you knows what great influence over the
rest of your life that first sexual union with another person can be.
That same instinct tells you not to blurr it; not to waste it; not to make it
cheap and small."
4) C. S. Lewis –
'"Every time a man and woman enter into a sexual relationship, a
spiritual bond is formed between them which must be eternally
ENJOYED or ENDURED."
b. Go back to vl6
c. Far more than biological linking of bodies
d. That's why Matthew 19:9
e. Change takes place - story of girl who's friends
keep needling her to “turn loose".....
"I can always become what you are, you can never become what I am"
5. Now go to V. 17-18
a. What it means to "flee immorality"
b. Joseph & Potipher's wife
c. When tempted - FLEE
1. If you have already violated
a. No words of comfort; can't undo
b. God forgives - accept that forgiveness
c. must face consequences of your actions
2. If you have not given in
a. I want to encourage you
b. Tell my children; "you only cross that line once,
you can never go back to pure innosense"
c. What you bring into a marriage........
d. After married...... can never go back & undo any
adultery .....never unadulterated again
1) can be forgiven; mate & Christ