A TALE OF TWO MOTHERS
1. Since 1914 when it became a national holiday, Mother's Day has grown in popularity and importance.
a. 20.8 million Americans will call their Mother today.
b. 125 million Mother's Day cards will be given (only 75 million to Father's on Father's Day)
2. Even though Mother's Day is in no way a religious holiday to be observed, the Bible does tell us to "Honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12 Mother's Day is appropriate way.
3. Today we want to give special recognition to our mothers as we consider:
"A Tale of Two Mothers."
I. An Example of a Wicked Mother (Herodias, the wife of Herod)
A. Background (Matthew 14:1-10) - (Have Todd/Sean Read....)
1. She was the wife of Herod's brother and was an adulteress
2. She influenced her daughter to do wickedness. They teamed together to have Herod kill John the baptist.
1. She set a poor example with regards marriage, fidelity
a. In Matthew 19:9-9, Jesus said, whoever divorces his wife, except for fornication, and marries another commits adultery."
b. Heb. 13:4 - Let marriage be held in honor by all, and let the marriage bed be kept undefiled; for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.
SOME WOMEN SAY....”WHO AM I HURTING” (INFIDELITY) ---- NOT JUST SELF & HUSBAND(S)
MOTHERS — YOU ARE LEADING YOUR DAUGHTERS
2. She taught her a perverted picture of what it is to be "female"
a. Taught her to use her God-given blessings as a curse
b. Ignored Titus 2:4 "That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."
MOTHERS — HOW DO YOU DRESS; CONDUCT YOURSELF? WHAT DO YOU DISPLAY AS FEMININE? DO YOU WANT YOUR DAUGHTERS SEXY??
SOME MOTHERS TRY TO RELIVE THEIR YOUTHFUL FANTASIES THROUGH THEIR CHILDREN
3. Did not teach her daughter to have proper regard for morality
a. Encouraged daughter to engage in immoral dress & actions
b. Sadly see much of the same today.
c. Mothers -- teach daughters about modesty (1 Tim. 2:9-f) & the dangers of immodesty
d. Mothers - teach daughters about "immorality, impurity, and sensuality"----dancing/prom - (Gal. ) & why they need to be concerned with how they dress, move and act.
4. Showed no regard for the soul of her daughter; taught her to live for the here & now
a. Prov. 22:6, Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.
b. God warns....Isa. 49:15, Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.
5. Was a selfish mother who saw daughter as a tool to manipulate for own end.
a. Any chance daughter of Herodias would say what said of the worthy mother in Prov. 31:30?
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
b. How can mothers "use" children for selfish & ungodly purposes?
II. An Example of a Godly Mother (Lois & Eunice)
1. 2 Tim. 1:5, I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you.
2. 2 Tim. 3:15, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
3. Acts 16:1, Paul went on also to Derbe and to Lystra, where there was a disciple named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek.
1. Just as Herodias set a poor example with regards marriage & fidelity.......Eunice could have “bailed out” of her marriage....I am sure it was hard.....found her “Herod” - life of excitement, etc.
Some today say,”I just want a life for myself...what about me?”
They show the power of a mother's influence. Godliness was "passed on" through three generations. Lois was faithful to God, passed on that faith to her daughter Eunice, who influenced her son Timothy to follow God.
2. Just as Herodias taught her daughter to use her looks and abilities to serve her own purposes.....Eunice taught her son to be a REAL MAN...Consider his father’s training (Greek) vs. Mother’s training
a. Recognized the power of positive training (Prov. 22:6)
Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.
b. Prov. 1:8, (also Prov. ), Hear, my child, your father's instruction, and do not reject your mother's teaching;
c. Abraham Lincoln’s mother died at a young age....but taught him it was better to know God’s word than to own a large farm.
(She died in poverty)
d. No greater gift that a mother can give to a child than a knowledge of the Bible upon which they can base their genuine faith.
e. Such teaching coupled with a godly example produce the kind of results we find in Timothy
3. While Herodias did not teach her daughter to have the proper regard for morality, Eunice taught Timothy in such a way that his great faith was witnessed by all.....2 Tim. 3:15, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Recognized the privilege of motherhood.
4. While Herodias showed no regard for her daughter’s soul, Eunice focused her life on the saving of Timothy’s soul…under hard circumstances (father was Greek)
a. Genesis 4:1 - "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD."
5. Herodias was a selfish mother who saw daughter as a tool to manipulate for own end......Eunice was a self-sacrificing mother who understood the importance of her role....
YOU MIGHT SAY....I DIDN’T HAVE A EUNICE FOR A MOTHER....YOU CAN STILL BE A LOIS....START THE BALL ROLLING & PASS IT DOWN FOR GENERATIONS
6. WE HONOR MOTHERS TODAY WHO RECOGNIZE SUCH
a. Any woman can be a mother - have children - some shouldn’t
b. Mother’s Day isn’t for the Herodias’s but for the Eunices
John - (Jesus), When a woman is in labor, she has pain, because her hour has come. But when her child is born, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world.
Psalms 127:3, Sons are indeed a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Such mothers are easy to honor
Eph. 6:2, "Honor your father and mother"--this is the first commandment with a promise:
1. There can be little doubt that Eunice and, if she were still living, Lois were
encouragers of Timothy in his work of preaching the Gospel.
2. Mothers should be willing to put God first and seek to dedicate her
child to the service of the Lord. The godly mother will not be so much
concerned with how much money their children make when they become adults as how faithful they will be to the Lord and what service they will be to Him.
A little boy forgot his lines in a Sunday school presentation. His mother was in the front row to prompt him. She gestured and formed the words silently with her lips, but it did not help. Her son's memory was blank. Finally, she leaned forward and whispered the cue, "I am the light of the world." The child beamed and with great feeling and a loud clear voice said, "My mother is the light of the world." While Jesus is the true light of the world, you mother can be the light which will lead your children to Christ.